Last week Chief Keef seemed to be inching his way toward becoming public enemy number one, with a string of negative tweets directed at his fellow Chicago rappers. First, Keef seemed to laugh off the shooting death of 16-year-old rapper Lil JoJo, then he sent one scathing tweet about Lupe Fiasco that set off a firestorm, and even led Lupe to consider retirement. Now, Keef maintains that it wasn’t him behind the tweets.
In the midst of the firestorm last week, he tweeted that his account had been hacked, and on Saturday (September 8 ) he followed up by specifically denying that he’d sent out the insensitive tweets about Lil Jojo. We assume that he’s also including his spat with Lupe during the period that he was hacked.
“Man, been thinkin bout this chicago street shit a lot. My prayers go out 2 Jojo’s family on their loss,” he wrote. ” i didn’t know him but he young jus like me. i can assure everyone that i had nothin 2 do with this tragedy tho. my twitter acct was hacked. since i was put in a messed up spot i think that i finna sign off this twitter shit for awhile or at least til my album drops on 11/27! i got a LOTTA sh– 2 say but this aint da place…my music is. i love chicago & i wanna make this sh– big for us! tell our story. #300.”
Keef’s manager, Rovan Manuel, told the Chicago Sun-Times that it took him awhile to catch onto the controversy that was brewing on Twitter last week, adding that he didn’t think the messages meant “anything personally.” “A lot of the stuff Keef does, that’s just cause he’s a kid,” Manuel said. “People forget that he’s a kid, a teenager … and kids make mistakes. He makes mistakes the hard way.”