Congratulations and good tidings to the royal couple of Prince William and Kate Middleton! With over 2 billion people around the globe intently watching the pair exchange their deeply personal vows, the lovebirds’ storybook romance and wedding opens up a new chapter in an 8-year love affair in grand fashion.
We at RapFix thought it would be fitting to create a list of great wedding songs in the realm of hip hop and R&B – it is not a secret Prince William is a huge rap fan. Even though Prince William is royalty and in line for the throne, we can’t confirm if the son of Prince Charles and Princess Diana was allowed to get down with these tunes with his grandmother the Queen looking on – but we can dream a little, right? Let’s check out the list!
1. Jagged Edge featuring Run-DMC “Let’s Get Married (remix)” – this R&B and rap classic was unavoidable on urban radio when it dropped over 11 years ago. The remix to the quartet’s slow and earnest ballad gets a boost from legendary rap group Run-DMC, sampling the group’s famous “It’s Like That” track.
2. Common featuring Mary J. Blige “Come Close” – Chicago rap vet Common and his single “Come Close” from his Electric Circus album was, in many respects, a sincere marriage proposal to what many fans thought was his then-girlfriend Erykah Badu. The Neptunes production duo gave Com Sense a smooth track for his romantic rhymes and the remix actually features Badu, the object of his affections.
3. Lil Mo featuring Fabolous “4ever” – Fab and Lil Mo have made a lot of magic together in a couple of duets, especially with the smash hit “Can’t Let You Go.” The pair hooked up on Mo’s second album Meet The Girl Next Door for the marriage-themed song “4ever” and it was a prominent fixture on urban and R&B radio in the summer of 2003.
4. Method Man featuring Mary J. Blige “I’ll Be There For You/You’re All I Need To Get By” – This hip hop and R&B update to Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell’s “You’re All I Need To Get By” appeared as a single from Meth’s debut Tical album. The gruff voiced Wutang swordsman showed his sensitive side in this still popular classic and the RZA remix is still syrupy sweet even despite the grimy drums from The Abbot.
5. Fabolous featuring Ne-Yo “Make Me Better” – Fab makes another return to the list with this 2007 duet with Ne-Yo and the pair relax their bravado just a taste over this Timbaland banger. Although the fellas give themselves plenty of props, they spend the majority of the song searching for their better halves to help complete the cipher.
6. Nas “Getting Married” Dedicating this track to the honor of his then-newlywed wife Kelis, it has Nas gleefully discarding with his single life and looking forward to wedded bliss. The song isn’t syrupy but there still exists loads of romance as Nas spits it only as he can about love and marriage.
7. UGK Featuring Outkast “International Players Anthem (I Choose You)” – While this song isn’t exactly about marriage throughout, Andre 3000’s opening verse depicts his friends warning him off from marrying a woman and avoiding heartbreak. Pimp C and Bun B’s gruff verses are in stark contrast to the Outkast duo’s more earnest attempts at romance.
8. Monica Featuring Trina “Always” – On Trina’s Amazin’ album from last year, she linked up with Atlanta songbird Monica and the song charted well on urban radio and R&B lists but never got the proper video treatment that would cement this song in the minds of many. Still, it’s refreshing to see the ladies of rap take a turn from the fellas.
What songs do you think Prince William and Kate Middleton would pick from this list? Do you have any to add that we missed? Tweet to us at @MTVRapFix or leave us a comment below.